This Halloween enjoy the festivities with your pets. Integrative Veterinarian Dr. Carol Osborne, DMV offers a few simple safety tips for pets and their owners to help ensure fun for all while trick or treating this season.
1. That bowlful of candy is for trick-or-treaters, not for Scruffy and Fluffy. Chocolate in all forms can be very dangerous for dogs and cats. Tin foil and cellophane candy wrappers can also be hazardous if swallowed. If you suspect your pet has ingested a potentially dangerous substance, please call your veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at 1-888-426-4435.
2. Popular Halloween plants such as pumpkins and decorative corn are not toxic but can produce stomach upsets and even intestinal blockage if large pieces are eaten.
3. Keep wires and electric cords taped securely to the floor or covered so your pet doesn’t chew them and risk burning his mouth or getting an electric shock.